Tuesday, March 11, 2008

"We are being held hostage!"

















The only thing worse than being stuck in Brazil for 46 days is being stuck in Brazil INSIDE because it is raining! It was almost comical... if we weren't bored enough already. When we got up (at 6:00am) and brushed a bunch of teeth, washed a bunch of faces and then looked out the window and noticed it was raining, we thought, "what in the world are going to do now?" But to our surprise we were able to entertain everyone until breakfast (8:00) and then we watched DVD's until lunchtime(12:00). This was a miracle because the little ones usually can't sit still for more than 30seconds! Literally! Either I forgot what having little ones was like or these little guys are trying to torture me on purpose. I am beginning to think it's all part of their sinister plan. I believe they team up on me... one will run one way laughing then when I corral him and get him back, the other one runs the other way looking over his shoulder laughing at the big fat white guy trying to catch him. This goes on pretty much all day. Anyway, late in the afternoon the rain stopped and we were able to go outside for a while. We played volleyball, soccer, climbed trees and jumped rope trying to pass the time away. As we were playing we noticed that Robert was in the sandbox eating handfulls of dirt. Not just one, but several! It was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen. He was so happy eating dirt. Then my mother-in-law told me it would probably give him worms? I thought for a few moments then decided that even though this was very entertaining, this probably wasn't a good thing and we better stop him. That was the highlight of the day (you know you're bored when dirt eating is entertaining).
Just to let you know, starting tomorrow we are going to highlight one child per day on the blog. We will describe each child to you on his/her day so that you can get to know them like we are getting to know them. This will give all of our family and friends an insiders view of these awesome kids. We're also going to let my in-laws (don't believe anything my mother-in-law say's about me if it's negative), Maryssa and Matthew blog over the next week or so. So be on the lookout.
I'll close with this... I usually put the 2 youngest to bed each night. I'll set a chair next to Robert's crib and hold his hand until he falls asleep (which is usually only a few minutes) and then I'll lay down with Gabriel until he falls asleep. He always sucks his thumb and makes me hold his hand and sing to him until he falls asleep. Last night as he was falling asleep I put my hand on his little chest and I could feel his heart beating. It was one of those things that makes you realize that this is a little life that will either serve God or serve the enemy. And, we as parents have the responsibility to raise our children to make sure it isn't the latter... so i just started speaking the Word over him right then and speaking words of life. I encourage you to do the same over your children. I can't wait to see what these kids are going to do for the Lord! It's going to be good, I know! Well as I'm finishing up here it has just started to rain again ( and hard ) so please pray that we won't be prisoners again tomorrow!

Luv ya,
Held Captive in Brazil
















1 comment:

Lolita said...

Jim & Mary Jane,

Thank you so much for sharing your journey. The pictures are just adorable. Your post provoke many different emotions and we look forward to reading them each day. It will be a treat getting to know each child as he/she is highlighted. Know that you both, and your beautiful family are in our prayers.

Love Eric & Lolita