Friday, March 7, 2008

"And they were naked and unashamed"






No, I'm not quoting something out of the book of Genesis...what is it with my kids and them wanting to take thier clothes off? Todays challenge was trying to keep clothes on all 3 of our youngest boys! It's hot here but give me a break. I'm not exagerating when I say that every time I turned around when we were outside (which is most of the day) they were stripping down! And did I forget to mention that they aren't circumcised and that freaks me out? Anyway, today was another challenging day. The family is getting along great but we are so bored. There are only so many water balloon fights to have and only so many times to kick a ball around before you wonder, "what are we going to do for the next 40 days?" Please pray for us! I was so bored that I let Matthew shave my head completely bald today. Yesterday was just a buzz cut but today I'm Mr. Clean. Maryssa told me I looked ridiculous and that if anyone saw it they would laugh in my face... thanks Maryssa for that vote of confidence. One little tidbit of info I'd like to pass along; The 'wedgy' isn't just an American phenomenon, it is a universal way of torture for younger siblings. The older ones do it to the younger ones here but they add a little extra zing to it... after they pull the underwear up, they pull down the shorts on the outside to reveal what now looks like a g-string in the back! Even though it's funny I tell them "no" because I'm so responsible, right? Anyway, I can't wait for everyone to meet the kids. They are truly amazing. They definitely aren't perfect but I can see why God chose us for them. Even though it is going to stretch us spiritually, emotionally and physically it is going to be worth it. When Diogo (our 5 year old) prayed last night at dinner one of the things he prayed (it was in Portuguese, but my father-in-law interpreted for us later) was, "thank you God for my family." Man, when I heard that a lump rose up in my throat and tears came to my eyes because it truly humbled me. God is so good.

We miss church! I know we have only been away 1 service so far but it doesn't feel natural. We love H&L, our Pastors and all of our friends! Well, it's late so I'm off to get my sleep before the kids get up at 6:30 (that's 4:30 Atlanta time). We love you guys. Mary Jane will blog tomorrow so be sure to check back with us.


Love Ya!

10 people bored here in Brazil

3 comments:

Mark Baker said...

Jim, Mary Jane, and family,
We love you guys and miss you tremendously. We are praying for you and know that Gods blessing always follows obedience, therefor it's following you. You've inspired us so much that I've asked Tinsley to shave her head as a token of support. I'm still waiting to hear her response.
All our love,
Mark and Tinsley

Unknown said...

Yes I am going to send to everyone today. Also add a blog page to your dunn adoptions site. I cried my heart out when I looked at the pictures. I am so proud of you and Mary Jane. If any one doubts His love, purpose, and ability, they need to see and hear your testimony. It reminds me of Cole’s slogan for focusing on the CRCT, “I am goingto do this and nothing is going to distract me!”



These Scripture are the soul of your family. God Bless.

James 2:14, 26

Faith and Deeds

14What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?

26As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

Unknown said...

Hi Jim and MJ "et al,"

Well I shouldn't tell you it snowed here today. Nothing stuck but it was cold, cold, cold. I don't know what's worse. Well, yeah I do. Don't you???? Anyway, I want you to know that we are fasting every Monday until you all return. Of course my family is in constant prayer for ya'll but we're throwing in the fast for extra covering. I know it's working becaue Delta lost Randy's luggage when we went to Las Vegas from Atlanta and they NEVER found it. You all have your luggage lost between the U.S. and Brazil and it's found within a few days.

We can't stop crying when we read your blog. We laugh a great deal too especially about the g-string analogy. (heehee) Thanks for thinking about the blog because it really is a great way to stay connected. Have you learned any Portugese yet? Do you all need anything? We could put together a care package. Need any Twinkies, Fudrucker's Cheese burgers with fries, Shane's full slab of ribs, Hershey's chocolate,gum, a coke?

Quinn