Wednesday, April 2, 2008

"What they don't know won't hurt them."

















Have you ever hid anything from your kids? If you're a parent you probably have, right? Have you ever 'NOT' told your child it was their birthday? Well, today was Gabriel's birthday and he didn't have a clue! So, we didn't say anything. He turned 4 years old today and he doesn't even know it. Now before you start judging us and talking bad about us, let me explain... 3 of the kids have birthdays this week. We had planned on celebrating them on their respective days, the April 2nd for Gabriel, April 4th for Diogo and April 7th for Ana (did the government pick these dates out of a hat so that they would have something to put on the birth certificates?). So, we bought presents while we were at home in Atlanta and put them in the suitcase that Michael was bringing. He was suppose to have been here this week. But when he heard how much 'fun' we were having here, he begged us to shorten his stay to 1 week rather than 2. He will be arriving on Saturday with all the gifts (from dollar tree of course, so at least we can throw them away before we head home!) so we will celebrate all the birthdays then. Now that you know the story behind why we didn't tell him it was his birthday, I'll move ahead with the story... he was so sweet today and we felt bad for not telling him. Gabriel is almost always smiling and laughing. He has this little squeaky voice that is very funny to listen to and he is always on the move doing something. One thing I can say about Gabriel is that he is definitely entertaining. He is constantly doing something that makes you say, "what in world is he thinking?" I was sitting in the Sala (a sort of living room area) this morning and he walked up to me and pulled my face down to his like he was wanting to give me a kiss ( he is very affectionate and this happens several times a day.) so I bent down and puckered up. All of the sudden I felt what I thought was his tongue touching my lips! So, I jumped back and kind of yelled, "hey?" Then Maryssa busted out laughing and said Dad, look... so I looked and Gabriel was sitting there with his lips puckered up with a lolly pop (just the candy part, no stick) protruding from his lips! He had pulled the candy off the stick and had it in his mouth and tried to pass it into my mouth! I don't know what is worse his tongue or candy that has been in his mouth for a while? Anyway this was one of those times where you ask yourself, "what in the world was he thinking?" About an hour later I was by myself in the Sala with Robert and Gabriel. My father-in-law had taken all the other kids on a long walk to the park. Mary Jane was in the bedroom cleaning and it was my turn to watch the 2 little guys. I was sitting there kind of in a daze not really paying attention to what was going on, when I looked down on the floor and I noticed Gabriel and Robert taking turns putting chap stick on (we had just given Gabriel his own chap stick - root beer flavored- yesterday in his goody bag at our ghetto easter egg hunt). As I continued to watch them (you can see the pictures I posted) not only were they applying it to their lips... they started applying it to their cheeks and foreheads. Rather than stopping them I decided to take this opportunity to conduct a little experiment, by seeing how far this thing would go. After about 20 minutes of passing this rootbeer flavored chap stick back and forth they started to eat it! It was an amazing sight to see your 2 youngest sons sharing so well! One would take a little bite then he would pass it to the other who would take a bite. This went on until they had pretty much consumed the entire stick! As I sat there watching I began to wonder... am I being responsible as a parent by letting them do this? I don't know about all that, but it sure was funny! And besides that it killed about an hour of the time that I was suppose to be watching them! By the way, if anyone out there needs a babysitter... I'm available LOL! After they finished eating an entire tube of chap stick it was time for lunch. So, we went down to the cafeteria and ate (FYI, chapstick isn't very filling because these 2 little guys ate a ton at lunch). the big kids got back with Papa and then we went to the pool for the rest of the afternoon. And that is what our day consisted of... exciting, huh? Who needs a birthday party with all that excitement going on? Man, am I ready to get home.
Tomorrow's the big day... our last day of court and doctor visits. Michael is coming in 3 days and we can't wait for him to meet his new brothers and sister. That's about all for today. I can't wait until the 4th so we can 'NOT' tell another one of our kids it's their birthday! Thanks again for praying for us. We truly love and miss all you guys.

Love ya,

Jim, Mary Jane and Gabriel - who doesn't know he's 4

No comments: